Thursday, March 20, 2008

The other day I was walking to work. I have mastered a short cut that saves me at least 3 minutes. My short cut takes me around hallesches tor, along the canal, then up through the hospital parking lot, right to deifenbach straße. I was thinking about this song by Pedro the Lion. It's called Secret of an Easy Yoke. I used to love this song. I even made a zine from the lyrics of the song. For a long time, I treated it like an anthem. I treated it kind of like a theme song. It suited my doubt and discontent with the church. I think it was accompanied by a certain smugness. Also I think I viewed David Bazan (of Pedro the Lion) as some sort of prophet/leader. I think I wished that he would make it okay.
In recent years, I haven't liked the band so much. I went the more bluegrass/dolly parton/damien jurado/bruce springsteen/dusty folk way. I guess I just got tired of mopey sad songs. I got tired of people who like Pedro the Lion.
So I was walking along thinking of these lyrics, and I realized how they apply these days, but not in a protest way. The song now takes on an air of humility that just wasn't there before. I think it is a cry out for something simpler.
So when I came home, I checked it out on youtube (dotcom). This is what I found:

The first few seconds are him just talking...then it gets interesting...then the song starts.
I don't know what it is. I thought that this song might have been the start of some kind of revolution. I think a lot of people hoped this. I thought it was going to happen. It never did. And my leader fizzled out with it. There is a sadness when you suffer a loss of a hero.
Kind of like when Jared Leto started wearing eyeliner, or when they made that awful Anne of Green Gables movie (the one that has NOTHING to do with the books).

1 comment:

Becky said...

I think the revolution is there, it's just small and quiet and slow-moving. For me the revolution has been understanding the story and learning to tell the story in a new way that makes sense to someone besides the devoted. And learning that it's ok for a question to hang in the air for a while, or forever...