Thursday, January 31, 2008

the green monster.

jealousy.
It sits deep in my chest, snapping and snarling and hungry. Usually it's kept at bay in a drugged slumber, but not today. Or yesterday. It's easy to say that things aren't fair. It's harder to shrug it off and scan the english classfieds for shitty jobs. The truth is that we are all sort of competing for the sweet job, and only a few of us can have it. I've just got to ignore the monster, and carry on.
Easier said than done.
I don't know why I seem to think that I am more deserving.
The bird caged inside of Dunkin' Donuts is signing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones.

But you know this...don't hem yourself in. Try a different country, an 'emerging' country. Life is too scenic to restrict your viewing angle to the people right next to you. And too short to waste it fretting about one job (every job has shitty aspects).

Drink a 'cup of grace', give thanks, and move on. :-)

wendy said...

I think I'm confused about what an emerging country is, and why germany isn't one.

Anonymous said...

Sigh. I was counting on the Bateman brains :-)
Germany is a developed country; it 'emerged' years ago. 'Emerging' countries are generally considered to be in a transitional phase between developing and developed status.

(not that that was even the point of my literary donation, but I'm sorry you were confused)